For Madam Rabbit's birthday the regular crew went to check out the new Comet Pizza on William Street.
- Shock horror - it serves mostly pizzas.
- I'm not going to go into too great detail, other than to say the pizza bases were excellent and exactly what you might hope from a wood-fired pizza joint. We tried pretty much all of their suggested combinations and while only the chilli maple chicken was unusual and especially good - you should definitely give it a try - all of them were above average and worth the reasonable costs.
- We also tried the ricotta and vanilla cannoli and the nutella mousse. Both of them were scrumptious. Definitely don't leave without picking yourself up a nutella mousse, it's wonderful, albeit a bit tiny - but then only $4.. get two!
- BYO alcohol. Bottle shop across the road towards the city makes for cheap and convenient alcoholism.
- Service was very good! You need to approach the counter to place your order and pay but the pizzas came out very quickly and the wait staff were always handy for you to ask them to get another of your drinks out of their fridge.
- One of the waiters heard us saying happy birthday to Madam Rabbit and without being asked brought us a Nutella Mousse with a candle in it. Was a lovely touch and class act.
- A wonderful open, light and breezy restaurant with seats outside in the sun, outside in the shaded balcony and inside for bigger groups.
- Love what they've done with the feel of the place. Some excellent light fixtures in the main dining area fit in with the astronomy theme.
- Unfortunately on the Sunday afternoon we visited it was pretty dead, maybe only ever getting to half full. We stuck around for quite a while, which meant that more than once we were the only group in the restaurant. This can lead to a bit of a weird vibe.
- Bathrooms very clean and fancy.
It's a pizza joint so it's never going to be a fine dining experience, but for a casual place that's not fun and too expensive, I'm not sure I can think of a better option than Comet Pizza right now. Some people might be annoyed that they can't buy a beer and while on the one hand I hope they can get a liquor license so they can make more money and be sure to stick around, on the other hand it's going to be cheaper for us customers to buy from the bottlo down the road so that works for me.
A really enjoyable place and one I hope gets busy soon and sticks around for a long time.
8.5 dirty snowballs out of 10