Checking out the Queens hotel brunch menu. Then regretting it.
BWG Steakhouse (i.e. Blue Water Grill) at night.
Madam Rabbit, the Amazonian, the Walking Inheritance and I visit Theo and Co Pizzeria in East South Park (aka. Vic Park) before heading to see Wicked at Crown. How was it? Well it was pizza, so it was awesome, but for pizza, it was just ok.
Madam Rabbit, Ms. Grey and I braved the queues at the Mary Street Bakery on a Sunday morning for brunch. Was it worth the hype?
Madam Rabbit, the Artist Formerly Known as Pregbot, Mr Macaron and the Prince of Margs hit up the Old Laundry for a sunny late lunch. Would recommend.
Some short notes on Perth Food Blog's recent radio silence:
- Food blogging stopped being fun.
- After a little while, I started feeling the pressure to post a new review every week or every so-often, which made the whole thing feel like a job.
- A few people let me know that the earlier reviews were better than my later reviews. I agreed with them and felt that I should stop writing them if they were going to look half arsed.
- I've thought about it some more and realised that this thing is whatever I want it to be, and I would rather post some things whenever I can be bothered, rather than giving up altogether.
- I like the bullet point format posts, but rather than feeling like I need to come up with bullet points to fit within each set category I think I will find it easier to only note something if I have something / can remember something worth noting.
- Most people just look at the pictures anyways.
- I'm going to stop writing in the 'royal we'. Aside from the Irish Hawk, who has very generously contributed the Doughnut Diaries series, the writing here has all been mine. I may as well just write in the first person. No-one is buying my faux-collective.
- I hear Instagram lets you run two accounts from your phone now. That's cool.
Hope you've all been well.
Dinner on a Monday night at one of the original 'fancy pubs', the Brisbane on Brisbane Street.
The Face on Mars is bad, and left us sad (face) (on Mars).
I know nothing about Rugby, but Madam Rabbit and I had been convinced to accompany Ms. Grey (a Nu Zulander) to watch the World Cup Final at the Sports Bar in Northbridge.
We decided to try out somewhere new for dinner on the way, and for some reason ended up at Romany, on the corner of Aberdeen and Lake Streets. Was it good? No, it wasn't.
Lately Madam Rabbit, Ms. Grey and I have been trying out hands at Northbridge Yoga on Sunday mornings. It's ok. There's lots of bending and stretching and that bit's fine, but then sometimes they make you chant 'Ommmm' and I'm not into that bit so much. Also it's early in the morning and often I'm hungover at that time. So, in lieu of yoga one Sunday morning, we went out for greasy breakfast instead. Less stretching, less weird chanting, also less yoga pants but overall I think a fair trade.
Of our recent Mary Street Bakery doughnut tour, the Lamington was the group's favourite. A twist on an Australian classic, the coconut / cake / chocolate flavours combined wonderfully. It's worth pointing out this is not a typical doughnut consistency but more of a heavier, cakier version, it's definitely worth a try.
Duende sits about a 200m walk away from the main Leedy Cafe strip, and offers some more Leederville-Spanish tapas options. We trundled down for a feed following a WAFL match, and none of us can remember much of it.. this is probably a review you can skip - but, uh, at least the photos are ok?
Read about our thoughts on 'the Bachelor' doughnut, the Pistachio and Rose Water from the Mary Street Bakery.
Although the diaries have slowed, our donut consumption has remained steady. Check out our thoughts on the first of four Mary Street Bakery donut reviews: the Salted Caramel.
Ms Foodie and I check out Porky's BBQ and Bar for a quick visit and to get our meatsweats awwwwnn...
On a rainy Friday afternoon, Mr Blue and the Artist Formerly Known as Ms Pregbot, along with Ms Pregbot's new young son and first time reviewer, the Prince of Margs (note: we were initially going to go with 'Vomit Machine', but decided that might have unintended implications for a Food Blog), check out a new cafe with a bit of buzz on Rokeby Road, the Lady of Ro.
Only a short visit, we were keen to see what the buzz was about. Find out below.
This week on the #doughnutdiaries we are celebrating the Drunken Duck's birthday with the doughnut Perthians go mad for, Krispy Kremes.
This review follows two separate visits to La Cholita about a month apart. Both visits were similarly good and so we've combined them into the one write up. Our two visits included Mr Blue, Madam Rabbit and Ms Foodie. A relaxed Mexican adventure (kind of like the Goonies, I guess, but with more siestas?) ensued.
a lime curd delight from TopDup.